KCC Architectural supplied and installed Specialist Acoustic Doors, Steel Hinged Fire Doors and Fire Curtains to Europe’s first amphitheatre designed venue -of its size-, which is custom designed for live music: the 3 Arena (also known as ‘The O2′ and it’s original name:’The Point Depot’).
The 3 Arena started life as a large cast-iron warehouse. It was built in 1878 by the Great Southern and Western Railway Company as a riverside goods depot. Its location beside the point at which the East Wall and North Wall met provided the building’s original name: ‘The Point Depot’.
Due to the original nature of this building the Acoustic Doors that KCC supplied and installed consisted of Vertically Lifting, Horizontal Sliding and Bi Parting Folding Doors, some of which were 15m wide x 5m high(!). The doors are located around the stage area and provide the main entrance and exit points for equipment used during performances at the venue. Due to the size and complexity of the doors, significant structural supports had to be designed and installed into the building structure to carry and support the weight of the doors.
The venue has a capacity to hold up to 14,000 people who will enjoy some 150 entertainment and live music events in any given year. The 3 Arena (known as The O2 at the time) opened its doors to the public in December 2008 after an €80 million investment.